I've seen an animal I'd like to adopt -- now what?
WCHS animals are available for adoption to approved, screened homes, subject to the following basic rules:
- All animals must be kept as inside family pets only.
- Adopted cats are never to be permitted outside.
- Adopted dogs are permitted outside only on a leash or within a secure, fenced enclosure (not invisible fencing), and then only for short periods of time; adopted dogs are never permitted to be outside when no one is at home.
- Any animal adopted from WCHS remains the property of WCHS for life -- if the adopter cannot keep it for any reason, it must be returned to WCHS.
- Other rules may be applied as circumstances warrant. Come in and review our placement guidelines for more information.
- Adoption hours are Monday-Thursday 1pm-5pm and Saturdays 11am-2pm.
No adopted animal ever leaves the shelter on the day that it is adopted. Anyone interested in adopting must complete a pre-adoption questionnaire, then execute our legally binding adoption contract. Once the adopted animal has been spayed/neutered and the WCHS Board of Directors has approved the adoption, the animal will be released to its new home (this can take up to 1 week).
Adoption fees are $75 for dogs and $50 for cats -- this covers the cost of having the animal spayed or neutered, up-to-date on all its shots, and for dogs, tested for heartworms and started on heartworm preventative and cats and dogs are microchipped.
For pictures of some of our adoptable animals, please see our Facebook page. We also list some of our animals on PetFinder.com. Please remember that the animals listed are only a small portion of the animals in our care. We try to get as many listed as possible, however the time it takes to list the animals takes away from our time actually caring for the animals. As always the best way to see our adoptable animals is to come to our shelter and visit with them in person.
Call WCHS at (419)294-4477 for more information.